The major thrust areas indicated in the UGC’s X Plan Guidelines on Adult, Continuing Education, Extension and Field Outreach are:
- The acceptance of the philosophy of continuing education as a part of total education programme of the institution.
- Integration between formal and non-formal education and out of school learning processes.
- Reaching out to the larger sections of adults through the university system and specially deprived groups for the purpose of equalization of educational opportunities.
- Introduction of programmes at IECD and at tie-up institutions, on-line and through e-learning.
Most of our conventional programmes at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels in the university system turn out graduates and post graduates who are neither inclined nor equipped to establish and run enterprises of their own involving managerial and organizational skills. They are seldom given hands-on-experience and skills and they are not confident of becoming entrepreneurs. Another weakness in the existing programmes the structural and curricular rigidity under which the teachers and the taught are not in a position to attain the relevant skills and field exposure, even if they willing. As a result, the tertiary education produces the employment seekers in the form of graduates rather than employment generators in the form of entrepreneurs.
Keeping the above in mind Bharathidasan University has conceptualised a massive institutional structure known as Institute for Entrepreneurship and Career Development which will be a flexible skill-based training centre in order to enrich the current as well as drop-out and passed out students with vocational skills leading to self-employment, eventually enabling them to emerge as successful entrepreneurs in the respective fields.
IECD was established during the academic year 2004-05 with a view to fill the wide gap in the educational system of the University. The main objective of IECD is to organize entrepreneurship and career development programmes and entrepreneurship sensitization camps for the various target groups and to conceive, design and operate various skills based and career oriented short-term certificate programmes, diploma, advanced diploma and PG diploma programmes for student and non-student school drop outs and un-employed youth. Thus, it is acting both as entrepreneurial training and consultancy institute for empowering the youth.
An amount of Rs. 1.5 Crore was spent generously by the University for the Construction of the Building to house the IECD and the DLL. Policies, programmes, rules and regulations were drafted and were approved by the Executive Committee constituted for IECD. The Minutes of the First EC of IECD was approved in the 164th syndicate meeting held on 5.02.2005. The constitution of IECD Executive Committee included Members, from the Syndicate, Departments and Institutions. The Main purpose of the Executive Committee is to advise/recommend the programmes/modalities to be carried out for the development
Policies / Norms of IECD in Brief
Important Objectives, Status, Powers of the Executive Committee, Powers of the Director, and Norms of the Programme and Funds of the IECD approved by the 164th Syndicate Meeting held on 05.02.2005 under its Item Nos. 2005.16.03, 2005.16.6.2.1, 2005.16.6.30, and 2005.16.7.0 are reproduced below for information.
- To organize entrepreneurship and career development programmes and entrepreneurship sensitization camps for the various target groups.
- To conduct training programmes in the field of entrepreneurship and career development for trainers drawn from schools, colleges, polytechnics and other institutions like SHGs, PRIs, NYKs, etc.,
- To train skilled personnel at self-employed technician level in the fields of industrial, medical and domestic electronics and process instrumentation by organizing short term and long – term programmes according to the needs of the clientele.
- To equip College students with requisite skills, knowledge and competencies for effective organization of Entrepreneurship Development Camps in their campuses.
- To design, initiate and promote innovative programmes in entrepreneurship, micro-credit based women empowerment and social development with special emphasis on need based conditions.
- To create networking with relevant bodies / agencies at different levels for the promotion of Entrepreneurship and Career Development.
- The IECD shall function as a separate entity and as an autonomous institution within the Bharathidasan University.
- The IECD shall enjoy independent administrative and financial status for ensuring effective and speedy implementation of various programmes and activities.
- There shall be an Executive Committee (EC) to assist the Director, comprising five members representing the University Syndicate, four members of the University's Department Heads and one member from related Institution as nominated by the Vice-Chancellor. The committee will meet at least thrice in a year. The EC will be reconstituted every three years.
- To appoint all categories of Officers and Staff, management and conduct of the affairs of the IECD, to fix the amount of their remuneration and to define their duties and to grant allowances etc.
- To enlist the continued co-operation and support of voluntary organizations, banks, SHGs, industrial organizations, educational institutions, welfare organizations, working organizations, etc., for implementation of programmes of the IECD.
- The Executive Committee shall have the power to frame such rules and regulations as they think proper for the preparation and sanction of budget estimates, the sanction of expenditure, entering into contracts, making investment and for any other purpose as may be necessary.
- The fee for different programmes / activities shall be decided by the Executive committee.
- To purchase, take on or otherwise acquire any land, building or other property, movable, immovable which may be necessary for carrying on the functions of the IECD.
- To invest funds or money entrusted to the IECD in such a manner as may, from time to time, be determined by it, subject to the approval of the chairman, following usual financial norms of the University.
- To make rules and regulations for conducting the meetings and affairs of the IECD and to adopt and modify them from time to time.
- To regulate the expenditure and to manage accounts of the IECD.
- Organising Entrepreneurship Awareness camps, entrepreneurship development programmes and faculty development programmes in the region for the benefit of trainees and trainers.
- Developing and introducing curriculum on entrepreneurship development at various levels including degree/diploma programmes of the university and in its affiliated colleges.
- Conducting survey and research work for identifying entrepreneurial opportunities (particularly in Science & Technology areas and service sectors.)
- Conducting skill development training programmes leading to self/wage employment.
- Conceiving, designing and operating various skill based and career oriented short-term, certificate, diploma, advanced diploma and PG diploma programmes for students, non-students, school drop outs, un-employed youth and interested target groups.
- The syllabi/regulations are to be prescribed by the IECD and the examination shall be conducted by the IECD. The Certificate/Diplomas shall be given by the IECD with the approval of competent authority of the University. The Diplomas/Certificates shall be signed by the Vice- Chancellor and the Director, IECD. The Mark statements shall be signed by the Director, IECD.
- All the Advertisements will be published in English/Tamil dailies as well as through mass media.
- Selection and admission are made on the basis of eligibility criteria as per the norms prescribed.
- Studentship/Scholarship to SC/ST/MBC/BC students from Rural Background will be provided for the payment of fee as per the norms.
- There will be tie-ups with Banks / Industries / NGOs / Institutions etc.,
- The campus interviews will be conducted for the placement of students / trainees in various esteemed Institutions/ Organizations.
- The IECD shall also organize same programmes, wherever relevant in other Centers / Institutions using the infrastructural and other facilities available in such Centers/ Institutes. Such programmes shall be considered as IECD programmes for all
Ad-hoc Board of Studies/Ad-hoc Course Committee
IECD constitutes Ad-hoc Board of Studies/Ad-hoc Course Committees with the approval of the Vice –Chancellor of Bharathidasan University, with the suitable experts from the academic, administration, Industries, NGO’s, retired faculties, and representatives from collaborative institutions. The Board ‘s/ Committees Periodically meet for preparing and revising the syllabi of the programmes for meeting the demand of the Industries, Institutions and employees. The Syllabus and regulations are approved by the EC of IECD, Bharathidasan University. The Ad-hoc-board meetings were conducted periodically for all the certificate / diploma / PG diploma programmes offered by IECD. It is interesting to note that IECD is having detailed regulations and syllabus for all the Short-term/ Certificate/Diploma/Advanced Diploma/PG Diploma programmes in a separate book form.
Programme Structure & Scheme of Examinations
||Duration of the Programmes
||Duration of Examination Per Paper
||No. of Papers
||Total No. of Credits
||1-4 Weeks (or ) 30 – 60 Hours of Teaching
||3 Months (or) 150 Hours of Teaching
||4 to 6 Months (or) 300 Hours of Teaching
|Advanced Diploma (Semester Pattern)
||1 Year (or ) 600 Hours of Teaching
|Advanced Diploma (Annual Pattern)
||1 Year (or ) 600 Hours of Teaching
|PG Diploma (Semester Pattern)
||1 Year(or )600 Hours of Teaching
|PG Diploma (Annual Pattern)
||1 Year (or ) 600 Hours of Teaching
* CIA - Continuous Internal Assessment
** UEA - University External Assessment
- Within a week after completion of the Course, the External Examinations will be conducted
- Within 15 days after completion of the examination, results will be announced and the Marks Statements issued and Convocation will be conducted.
IECD follows annual calendar of January to December pattern as well as Academic calendar of July to June Pattern depending upon the nature of programmes. For affiliated colleges, it follows July to December and January to June as two sessions. For IECD campus programmes June / July to October/ November/ November /March/ April and April & May summer sessions. For Collaborative institutions every 4 months for certificate, 6 months for diploma and 1 year for Advanced Diploma and PG Diploma Programmes are being followed.